What is Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog) Pose :
In Sanskrit Adho Mukha Svanasana means
Adho – Forward; Mukha – Face; Svana – Dog
Adho mukha svanasana posture looks like a dog bending forward, hence the name downward facing dog pose. Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog ) Pose is a very easy and effective yogasana. It can be practiced by any beginner without any difficulty
How to do Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) :
- Stand on four limbs, such that your body forms a table-like structure.
- Exhale and gently lift your hips and straighten your elbows and knees. You need to ensure your body forms an inverted ‘V’.
- Your hands should be in line with your shoulders, and your feet in line with your hips. Make sure that your toes point outwards.
- Now, press your hands into the ground and lengthen your neck. Your ears should touch your inner arms, and you should turn your gaze to your navel.
- Hold for a few seconds, and then, bend your knees and return to the table position.
How to deepen this yoga stretch?
Keep your arms perpendicular to the floor.
Benefits OfAdho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) :
- This asana stretches the shoulders, hands, hamstrings, calves, and arches of the feet, while strengthening the arms, legs, and ankles.
- It is great for reducing stiffness in the shoulder blades and arthritis in the shoulder joints, relieving pain in the heels, and softening calcaneal spurs.
- It gently stimulates the nerves and slows down the heartbeat.
- This posture gives relief in woman going through hot flashes during menopause.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana is a weight-bearing exercise and will strengthen your bones. Practicing this pose will make your upper body strong and this will help to prevent osteoporosis.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana will open the back of your legs and stretch it.
- You are in an inverted V position, which means your heart is above your head. This will improve blood flow to your head. This will enhance your focus and energy. Daily practice of this yoga asana will give your relief from tension in the neck and will charge you up.
- Improves your body posture
Contraindications of Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Facing Dog Pose) :
Avoid doing this asana if you suffer from high blood pressure, Carpel tunnel syndrome, detached eye retina, weak eye capillaries, dislocated shoulder / shoulder injury or diarrhoea.