Agya Chakra, also known as the third eye chakra, Anjna Chakra, or the brow chakra. It is the sixth primary chakra of the human body. It is situated in the middle of the forehead, between the eyebrows slightly above the bridge of the nose. . Traditionally, women place a bindi and men apply tilak in the forehead to activate or symbolize the chakra. This Chakra helps to perceive the reality of Self by opening the eye of knowledge.
For this reason, it is also known as the “third eye”.
The Agya Chakra is the center of clarity and wisdom. It forms the boundary between human and Divine consciousness. It is the meeting point of the three principal Nadis, Ida (Moon Nadi), Pingala (Sun Nadi), and Sushumna (Central Nadi). When the energy of these three Nadis unites here and rises further, we attain Samadhi, Supreme Consciousness.
This Chakra is the dividing line between human consciousness (perception, clarity, and wisdom) and the divine. The energy imparted by this chakra allows clear thought, self-reflection, and spiritual awareness.
Agya chakra is denoted by the color indigo, and its mantra is OM
Agya Chakra (Ajna Chakra) or The Third Eye Chakra Description
Ajna Chakra is represented by a lotus with 2 petals. The petals are white or light grey in color. They represent the Nadis (psychic channels) Ida and Pingala, which meet the central Sushumna Nadi before rising to the crown chakra. The letter “ham” is written in white on the left petal and represents Shiva, while the letter “ksham” is written in white on the right petal and represents Shakti.
Inside the pericarp of the flower is the deity of the Ajna Chakra called Hakini Shakti. It is depicted with a white moon, six faces, and six arms holding a book, a skull, a drum, and a rosary while making the gestures associated with granting boons and dispelling fears. She is described as Shuddha-Chitta or pure-minded.
The downward-pointing triangle above her contains a white lingam. This triangle, along with the lotus flower, can represent wisdom. This sixth chakra of our energy body is also connected with the sixth layer of our aura, known as the celestial layer in aura science.
Ajna symbolizes the Manas Tattva or principle of mind.
Location of Ajna Chakra
It is situated in the middle of the forehead, between the eyebrows slightly above the bridge of the nose. The Ajna chakra is correspondent with the pineal gland.
The pineal gland functions when we are young, but by the time we reach puberty, it begins to calcify and becomes dysfunctional. It is said that with the yogic practice of Shambhavi mudra and Trataka, the Ajna chakra can be reactivated.
Agya Chakra Color
The Agya Chakra Color is Indigo or White or Light Grey
Seed Mantras of Ajna Chakra (Agya Chakra)
The mantra for Ajna Chakra is Om or Aum which is believed to be the basic sound of the world and contains all other sounds. It is considered the supreme sound of the universe. Practitioners use the repetition of this seed mantra to activate the chakra.
Presiding Deity or Chakradhistadhatri of Ajna Chakra
Goddess Hakini is the presiding deity of Agya Chakra
Sense Organ connected with Ajna Chakra
Ajna Chakra is not related to any particular sense organ but indicates the mind principle, which manages all the sensory inputs.
Organs and Diseases Associated with Ajna Chakra
The main organs governed by the Ajna chakra are the eyes, ears, nose, brain, and nervous system. The functions of the pituitary and pineal glands are also governed by this chakra.
Some of the physical problems associated with an imbalanced Ajna Chakra are frequent headaches, sinus, and vision problems. Other issues include stubbornness, high temper, and nightmares.
Agya Chakra (Ajna Chakra) or The Third Eye Chakra
|Location||The middle of the Fore Head|
in between Eyebrows
|Color||Indigo or (Light Grey or White)|
|Sense||Mind Principle Controller of |
all sensory inputs
|Beej Mantra||Om (Aum)|
Agya chakra (Ajna Chakra) or the third eye chakra Properties
Agya Chakra is associated with the power of thought, imagination, and abstract ideas and controls the entire personality of an individual. A well balanced Third Eye (Ajna) Chakra displays charisma and intuitive brilliance in a person.
The Third Eye (Ajna) Chakra has following properties or characteristics:
- Clarity of thought and vision
- charismatic and intuitive
- Focus, concentration, and perception
- imaginative, intelligent, have a good memory
- see things clearly and accept others without getting judgmental
- Deep wisdom and ability to find meaning in life events
- Brilliant, inner knowledge, wisdom, psychic abilities
- Easy to remember and interpret their dreams
How to know Blocked or Imbalanced Agya chakra (Ajna Chakra) or The Third Eye Chakra
Imbalanced or Blocked Agya chakra (Ajna Chakra) or the Third Eye Chakra has following characteristics
- Lack of faith in your purpose
- Feeling pointless
- Finding your work or life insignificant
- The constant struggle with intellectualization and over-analyzing things
- Clouded judgment, fantasizing too much
- Lack of focus
Physical symptoms caused by a blocked Agya chakra (Ajna Chakra) or the third eye chakra also include the following:
- Vision problems
- Mental disorders
- Learning disability
- High blood pressure
When the Agya (Ajna) chakra is overactive
An overactive Ajna chakra results in
- overactive imagination,
- far from reality.
- lives in a fantasy world
- frequently bothered by nightmares.
- troubles in recollecting a memory of events,
- rigid mindset.
- easily distracted, affected by anxiety, and unsympathetic attitude.
When the Agya (Ajna) chakra is underactive
Underactive Ajna Chakra results in-
- have a poor memory, learning problems
- difficult to visualize and imagine things
- lack of intuitions
- insensitive towards others
How to Activate Agya (Ajna) Chakra or The Third Eye Chakra
1. The best way to activate a chakra is to develop sattva tattva in yourself by doing
MANANA – To think about, to reflect
SANKALPA – To have the right intentions, to make positive resolutions
Vikalpa – To remove doubts and discard false ideas
ATMA CHINTANA – To be conscious of the Divine Self (Atma)at all times.
2. Regular chanting of the Beeja Mantra of the chakra. The Beeja Mantra of this chakra is OM (AUM). Chanting of this seed mantra while concentrating on the eyebrow center can be used to activate Ajna chakra or The Agya Chakra or The Third Eye Chakra.
By chanting Om, the vibrations will open and align this chakra.
To get quick and more benefits– Chant Beeja Mantra OM at a specific time for a specific duration regularly.
3. Regular Practice of Deep breathing exercises, observe inhale and exhale, Anulom -Vilom, Pranayama especially Ujjayi Pranayama, Gyan Mudra, Khechari Mudra, and Shambhavi Mudra can also activate this Chakra. This balances the Ida and Pingala Nadi. Since the Ajna Chakra is the place where these Nadis meet.
4. Eye brow center gazing, with chanting of Om can also activate the Ajna chakra.
Especially Trataka at the location of third eye chakra or visualization and meditation activate the Ajna chakra.
5. Use of energy healing, such as Reiki, sound therapy, acupuncture or acupressure activate the Agya chakra
7. Use Agya Chakra Stones and Jewellery For Healing. Wearing Ajna Chakra gemstones or placing crystals balances this Chakra. Use healing stones that possess the same vibrational frequency and chakra color as the Ajna chakra to clear away negativity and restore proper energy flow, such as Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Purple Flourite, Moonstone, Quartz, etc.
8. Aromatherapy- use of essential oils, at the location of the Ajna chakra, can also assist with cleansing and balancing the Third Eye chakra This includes Frankincense, Marjoram, Rosemary, Sandalwood oil, etc.
9. Chakra Healing Food for the Third Eye.
Diet plays a vital role in your overall health, including your chakra system.
To heal and maintain a healthy Ajna chakra, take Naturally dark blue and purple-colored foods such as Plums, Blueberries, Purple peppers, cabbage, kale, etc.
These foods can boost Third Eye chakra functions and helps to activate the Third Eye Chakra Chakra.
10. Making the home Vaastu perfect and following the science of directions while sleeping, studying, working, etc. recharges the chakras.
Agya Chakra Affirmations to Use
Repeat positive affirmations about personal power. Affirmations are wonderful for getting rid of old, limiting beliefs, and building confidence
By repeating affirmations, you can reverse negative thought patterns and replace them with constructive ones. You can change, remove, and add words as you wish.
- I recognize wisdom comes from within.
- The knowledge of the universe is within me.
- I am on my true path.
- I see all situations with clarity and objectivity.
- I am open to inner guidance.
- I hear my intuitions and I know they will lead me to my purpose.
- I live every day in accordance with my life’s purpose.
The Third Eye is the seat of wisdom, consciousness, and one’s soul. This is where you not only see what is going on, but you also know what it means. It also establishes a healthy and disciplined view of reality. While being able to see the bigger picture.
Ajna indicates the development of awareness. If one is fully aware of every action whether it is eating, talking, walking, etc. then the Ajna chakra is active.
When the third eye center is activated, it removes the fickleness of the mind. The mind is more focused and not scattered. This gives strength to the mind and increases the Sankalpa Shakti or the will power which helps to achieve Samadhi.