What is Ejaculation?
Ejaculation is where semen is squirted out of the penis during an orgasm (sexual climax)
What is Premature ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is a condition in which a man reaches orgasm sooner than his partner. It can take place either before or shortly after mating.
Premature ejaculation means ejaculation takes place before the man inserts his penis into the vagina, or there is an inability to delay ejaculation in all, or almost all, episodes of penetrative sex. Sometimes totally unable to achieve ejaculation.
No accurate timing has been set, about how long a man should “last” during sex. But when a man experiences orgasm before he wants to lose the erection and can’t continue with intercourse, interest is lost in sexual pleasure, then this condition indicates a premature ejaculation. In PE it becomes very difficult to satisfy a partner.
Premature Ejaculation can lead to the problem with intimacy and relationship. It has been estimated that 30 to 40 % of males experience this problem sometimes in their life.
Premature ejaculation in Ayurveda
In Ayurveda premature ejaculation is mainly caused by 8 factors which are as follow:
- Drutatvat Marutasya (due to Vata dosha)
- Harsha (meaning excitement, fantasy)
- Tarsha (very strong desire to have sex)
- Saratwat (low viscosity of semen or water like semen)
- Anutva (atomicity)
- Pravanabhava (tendency to flow out easily)
- Paicchilya (slime-like semen)
- Gaurava (heaviness of semen, excess semen)
Any of these eight factors or a combination of these may be responsible for premature ejaculation. But the commonest cause among these is the “drutavat marutsya”.
According to Ayurveda, Premature Ejaculation exists through the imbalance of Vata (air) and Pitta Dosha at the initiation of physical mating.
Further anxiety and nervousness can aggravate these doshas before the sexual act.
Vata is described by its characteristics of stimulation and heightened sensitivity to the sense of touch. The increase in Vata creates a tendency for faster ejaculation. Pitta plays a function in the thinning of the semen, thereby supporting its early ejaculation.
These aggravated doshas create hyperactivity of muscle tissues in the male penis. So growing sensitivity to vibration leads to premature ejaculation.
Premature Ejaculation Causes:
A. Psychological Factors
B. Biological Factors
A. Psychological Factors:
- Excitement for sex (many times a major factor)
- Anxiety and nervousness about performance in sexual activity. (like in newlywed men)
- A sense of nervousness or guilt during sex.
- Depression and mental disturbance due to other family cause.
- Stress, unresolved problems, conflicts, or issues within a sexual and emotional relationship
- Erectile dysfunction
- Sexual abuse
- Sexual experiences at an early age
- Situations where climax has to be achieved swiftly
B. Biological Factors:
- Surgery or trauma inflicting damage on the nervous system
- Prostate infection
- A faulty ejaculatory mechanism
- Neurotransmitter anomaly
- Imbalanced sex hormone levels
- Prolonged illness
- Lack of nutritional food & exercise
- Diseases like—Obesity, Diabetes, Hypertension, Depression, Hypothyroidism, Multiple sclerosis, Prostate disease
- Smoking, alcohol, other drugs, etc.
- Advanced age
- Many medicines and surgeries
- Night shifts, prolong sitting work
Premature Ejaculation Ayurveda Treatment
Ayurvedic line of treatment for early ejaculation/sukragatavata should consists of vrishya (aphrodisiacs), balya (tonics), vatahara (drugs/procedures which pacifies vata dosha), medhya (psychotropic drugs) and sukrastambhaka (drugs helpful to delay ejaculation) drugs.
Vasti is the best available treatment / an ideal choice for vata vikara’s or shukragata vata, as it controls vata at its own site.
Vajikaraṇa is a specialized branch of Ayurveda that aims to promote the sexual well-being of a healthy man as well as that of sexually weak patients.
Vajikarana is the branch of ayurvedic medicine that deals with issues like psychological, physical, and sexual disorders like premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, low libido, etc. The vajikarana medicines provide strength, stamina, vitality and also nourishes the sexual organs.
The therapy which provides sexual strength, power, sexual desire, erection of the penis, and pleasure in the intercourse is known as Vajikarana.
Vajikaran therapy is said to equilibrize all the seven dhatus (body elements), therefore, it rejuvenates, balances, and brings equilibrium.
In Vajikarana, the treatment option which extends the time of sexual intercourse is regarded as SukraStambhaka.
In Ayurveda, there are a lot of options for the treatment of Premature ejaculation like:
- Single Herbs-
- Home Remedies for Premature Ejaculation
- Diet and Lifestyle Changes
- Meditation and Yoga
- Exercises (Self-help techniques)
- Psychological Assistance or counseling
- Ayurveda Medicines
1. Single Herbs:
Ayurvedic herbs are used to control early ejaculation since ancient times. These are natural herbs and contains no chemicals. The best part of this therapy is that there is no chance of side effects. Some important herbs beneficial for premature ejaculation are as follow:
- Erandamoola (Ricinus communis Linn.)
Erandamoola (Ricinus communis Linn.) basti and vanri kalpa are effective in Premature Ejaculation due to their properties of balancing the Vata Dosha.
2. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri Linn)
Brahmi having anti-anxiety, adaptogenic, and stress-relieving properties. It improves libido and overall sexual performance. Many ayurvedic texts including the Charaka Samhita have mentioned Brahmi as a very potent ayurvedic medicine for early discharge problems.
3. Mandukaparni (Centella asciatica Linn)
It is a neuroprotective herb, having anti-anxiety, adaptogenic, and stress-relieving properties. It improves libido, delays the process of ejaculation, and improving the performance in men.
4. Amlaki (emblica officinalis)
Amla enhances libido. It has a constrictive and retentive effect on semen. Regular use of Amla can therefore delay the process of ejaculation and give relief if you are suffering from PE.
5. Jatiphal (myristica frangrans)
Jatiphal is mentioned in the Ayurveda and Unani system of medicine as a potent herb for treating sexual dysfunctions. It is a nervine tonic. It enhances sexual desire and decreases impotency in males.
Putrajeevaka is beneficial in increasing the ejaculation time. Putranjeevaka increases sexual desire, penile erection, penile rigidity, orgasm score, and the period of sexual activity significantly. It not only enhances sperm motility but also decreases the count of immobile sperms.
7. Kapikacchu (Mucuna prurience)
It is an aphrodisiac and also effective in improving the performance in men. It improves the quality and quantity of sperm. It delays the process of ejaculation and give relief from premature ejaculation.
It has been seen to improve libido and prevent premature ejaculation in men. It also relieves dysmenorrheal pain in women.
Aphrodisiac effect of Lavaṅga lends its use in the treatment of premature ejaculation
It improves the duration of the sexual acts. Ashwagandha is a vajikarana drug and also it is having properties like, anxiolytic, anti-depressant, anti-stress adaptogen, and uplifts mood.
Vidarikand increases both the quality and quantity of semen in males that increase its count and mobility due to its spermatogenic property. Vidarikand is considered to be beneficial in improving sexual performance due to its aphrodisiac activity. It increases the levels of the hormone testosterone in men. It is useful in reducing the symptoms of sexual weakness and improves sexual health
Very effective in early discharge or premature ejaculation. Bala helps to maintain a healthy sexual life and reduce the symptoms of sexual weakness like erectile dysfunction and delay ejaculation. This is due to its Vajikarna (aphrodisiac) property.
13. Safed Musli
Safed Musli nourish the Shukra dhatu and increase sperm production. It is very beneficial in Premature Ejaculation.
It helps reduce stress-related immune disorder that induces the production of corticosterone, which in turn inhibits the production of testosterone. Ayurveda strongly recommends the intake of a spoonful of Safed Musli every day to enhance sexual appetite and promote sperm count.
Asparagus racemosus is an extremely beneficial herb for improving the sexual function of both males and females. Regular intake of this herb boosts blood circulation and induces calmness in the mind. The rejuvenating effects of this herb nourish the Shukra dhatu and increase sperm production.
It stimulates the production of sperm and increases the sperm count and sperm volume significantly. It Increases Testosterone hormone levels, Penis erection, and prevents premature ejaculation. It improves stamina and boosts libido. It contains powerful antioxidants and minerals, which ensure proper blood flow to the male genitals. It also relieves anxiety and stress leading to better sexual arousal and enhances one’s potency.
Akarkara improves sexual desire as well as the sexual performance of men by maintaining testosterone levels due to its aphrodisiac property. It detoxifies the body as it increases urination due to its diuretic activity. It also helps to improve brain function due to its memory-enhancing and antidepressant activity.
17. Gokshuradi Guggulu
Gokshuradi Guggulu is very effective in improving men’s sexual health. It has potent spermatogenic properties Being a natural antioxidant, it improves the production of testosterone and helps to treat conditions like erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation
18. Salabmishri (orchis latifolia)
Salabmishri is very effective in promoting sexual health. It works as an excellent aphrodisiac agent and helpful in treating diseases like premature ejaculation, impotence, and erectile dysfunction.
Prevent early orgasm (premature ejaculation) and infertility. Saffron is also used for to increase interest in sex (as an aphrodisiac) and to induce sweating. Women use saffron for menstrual cramps and premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
20. Ahiphena or Opium ( Purified and processed Papaver somniferum)
Boosts libido, increases stamina and prevents premature ejaculation.
21. Talmakhana (Asteracantha longifolia)
Talmakhana Seeds are an ideal Ayurvedic solution for impotence and for increasing sperm count naturally. The seeds have bactericide, aphrodisiac, demulcent, diuretic, alimentary and hepatoprotective properties. The seeds are beneficial for the treatment of sexual debility, premature ejaculation, erectile failure, and oligospermia
2. Home Remedies for Premature Ejaculation:
- The aphrodisiac qualities in the roots of the Asparagus can help in decreasing the problem of premature ejaculation in men. You can take 3 to 4 teaspoons of asparagus powder or root by mixing it with a glass of milk. Alternatively, you can boil the milk with the roots of asparagus and then drain the roots. Drink this milk two times a day to enhance strength and stamina.
- Almonds – Take 10 almonds, soak them in water and leave them overnight. In the morning Peel off their skin and crush them. Add the crushed almonds, a pinch of cardamom powder, a pinch of saffron, and a pinch of ginger powder to 1 cup hot cow’s milk. Mix the contents thoroughly. Drink this every morning for 40 days to increase strength, stamina, and ejaculation time.
- Seeds of green onions are perfect to decrease premature ejaculation. Crush the seeds and mix well in water. Take this medicinal water three times a day before a meal. Eating onions can also enhance your sexual stamina.
- Ginger and Honey is another best remedy to avoid premature ejaculation. Take half a teaspoon of ginger water extract and one teaspoon of honey. Mix it and consume it before bedtime.
- Kumkuma (saffron) should be consumed with milk in Premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction.
- Take 3- 4 cloves of garlic every day to decrease premature ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. Garlic may increase the blood flow to the penis.
- Take daily half tablespoon of powder of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Bala (Sida cordifolia), and Vidari (Pueraria tuberose) in warm milk. Drink this every morning for 40 days to increase strength, stamina, and ejaculation time.
- Jatiphala (Myristica fragrans) powder 3-5 grams in quantity mixed in milk and made into a paste and taken for internal consumption. It is very helpful in treating diseases like premature ejaculation, impotence, and erectile dysfunction.
- Black gram powder and almonds powder with warm milk.
- Dates with milk improves sexual desire as well as sexual performance.
- Massage pubic bone and glans penis before intercourse with Brahmi Ghrita, Shatavari Ghrita, and Ashwagandha ghrita (medicated ghee).
- Mix Triphala powder in water. Keep it away for half an hour. Add a tablespoon of pure honey. Have this in the early morning daily. It improves stamina, sexual desire as well as sexual performance.
- Mix black gram, rice, wheat, and long pepper in equal quantities. Grind them to make powder. Fry the mixture in pure ghee and then cook it with milk. Eat after adding sugar to it. This is helpful in treating diseases like premature ejaculation, impotence, and erectile dysfunction.
- A combination of Ayurveda herbs in the milk can be very effective that includes-
The mixture of these three should be taken along with the cow milk. It is very effective for premature ejaculation.
3. Diet and Lifestyle Changes:
- Stop smoking.
2. Restrain from sexual activities, and should avoid too much masturbation.
3. Avoid hot, spicy and bitter foods.
4. Sleep at least for 8 hours a day.
5. Eat plenty of
- fresh fruits (especially banana)
- fish, shellfish,
- vegetables (especially fennel, celery, and onions) and
6. Reduce or avoid
- denatured foods
- processed foods
- foods that contain high amounts of white sugar or white flour
4. Meditation and Yoga:
The following yoga positions are believed to be beneficial for PE:
- Sarvang Asana
- Hala Asana
- Matsya Asana
- Vajra Asana
- Dhanusha Asana
- Surya Namaskarasana
Best Pranayama for PE are:
- Kapaabhaati pranayama,
- Bhastrika pranayama and
- Ujjayi pranayama
- Antrik and Bahari kumbhak Pranayam are very useful.
Best Mudra Positions for Premature Ejaculation
- Ashwini mudra
- Vajroli mudra
- Vipareetakarani mudra,
- Maha mudra and Maha bheda mudra
Bandha’s like Moola Bandha and Maha Bandha
Shatkarma procedures like, nauli, agnisara kriya
Other practices like, Yoga Nidra and meditation are useful for general toning of male and female reproductive organs and also to calm the mind that is beneficial for Premature Ejaculation management.
5. Exercises (Self-help techniques)
- Exercise daily for good health
- Masturbate an hour or two before having sex
- Use a thick condom to help decrease sensation
- Take a deep breath to briefly shut down the ejaculatory reflex (an automatic reflex of the body during which ejaculation occurs).
- Have sex with a partner on top (to allow them to pull away when close to ejaculating)
- Take breaks during sex and think about something boring
- Breathe deeply right before discharge. Controlling the breath during sexual activity, slow down it. Breathing deeply slows down performance anxiety.
- Kegel exercise fortifies Pubo- coccyges muscles & help to control early ejaculation.
- The best way to combat premature ejaculation is by learning to control the sensations prior to orgasm. This method takes time and practice, but it is very effective.
6. Psychological Assistance or counseling
About 85 % of cases are solved by Psychological Assistance. There is one to one counseling, either alone or along with the partner.
Stress, anxiety, depression, and other emotional problems can lead to premature ejaculation. In these psychological problems counseling with a psychiatrist or sex therapist is very useful.
Panchakarma procedures (Ayurvedic five major body cleansing procedures) like vasti (various medicated oil or decoction enemas) and shirodhara (continuous oil drip on forehead) are very beneficial in PE. This process improves libido, delays the process of ejaculation, and improving performance.
Abhyaganam, Swdenam, Shirodhara processes are very effective in PE.
Panchkarma treatments like Vasti and Shirodhara and also found to be beneficial for the treatment of premature ejaculation.
8. Ayurveda Medicines for Premature Ejaculation:
- Akarakarabhadi yoga
Akarakarabhadi yoga has improved the time taken for ejaculation and satisfaction to female partner.
2. Vanari gutika
Vanari Vati or Gutika (tablet) is a herbal Ayurvedic medicine. It contains kapikacchu seeds or Kaunch/Kevanch. It is used to treat male sexual disorders, Vata-Vyadhi, infertility, bleeding disorders, weakness and Kampvata or Parkinson’s disease.
It is indicated in early ejaculation and also in loss of erection.
3. Narasimha Powder
Beneficial in oligospermia and Premature Ejaculation.
4. Musalyadi Powder
Musalyadi Powder has provided better results in improving the duration of sexual act and frequency of coitus.
5. Rasayana Vati
It improves and tones up the musculature of the genito-urinary system and thus helps in Premature ejaculation and Erectile dysfunction. It reduces over-excitability and increases the duration of ejaculation. The androgenic action of Rasayan Vati improves the quality & quantity of semen.
6. Kamini vidrawan Ras
Kamini Vidrawan Ras includes many components that enhance erection and retains it for a longer period of time. It also stops premature ejaculation. It has aphrodisiac effects and is widely recommended by ayurvedic physicians to enhance, sustain an erection, improving vitality, and treat infertility. It also increases penile endurance and hardness
7. Kamchudamani Ras
Kamchudamani Ras helps to overcome the problems of erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, and increase ejaculatory control. It also enhances harder erection and enhances vigor and vitality.
8. Yauvanamrit vati
It is used for the treatment of problems related to men’s health. It is commonly prescribed to treat men’s weakness. It helps to boost stamina, vitality, and vigor. It is very effective in PE.
9. Musli Pak
Regular consumption of this increases sperm count, sperm motility and is the best herbal remedy for erectile dysfunction. It is indicated in male infertility and Premature Ejaculation.
10. Badam Pak
This medicine provides strength and increases power.
11. Navrattan Ras
The primary function of the Ras lies in immunomodulation while restoring strength and vitality. It is recommended for use in conditions of infertility, Premature Ejaculation, poor cardiovascular health, compromised immunity, and pain and weakness.
12. Swaran Basam
This restores the sexual power lost through excessive indulgence or old age.
13. Viryashodni vati
Improves the quality and quantity of sperm. Useful in erectile dysfunction, infertility, and Premature Ejaculation.
14. Virya satambhan vati
Veeryastambhaka Vati (an Ayurvedic formulation) which contains Ahiphena (Papaver somniferum) as one of the main ingredients is indicated in PE.
15. Pushpadhanwa Ras
It is used in the treatment of sexual disorders such as low stamina, premature ejaculation, sexual dysfunction, erectile dysfunction, loss of libido. It is used for improving sperm count, semen volume, and testosterone. It is also good anti-aging medicine.
16. Makardhawaj tablet special
Erectile Dysfunction; Impotency, Premature greying of hair, Wrinkles due to age, Bradycardia (abnormally slow heartbeat). It balances the Tridosha – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha in the body.
17. Basant kusmakar ras
Basant Kusumakar Ras is a rejuvenator, it restores body strength, vigor, and vitality. useful in urinary problems.
18. Puranchander ras
It improves strength, immunity, sexual power, intelligence, delay aging. It is used for the treatment of Premature Ejaculation, Sexual Vitality.
19. Varihad Vangeshwar ras
It is used in the treatment of frequent urination. It helps to treat the problem caused by bacterial infections in the urinary tract.
20. Ashavganda Powder
It has improved the duration of sexual act