Sahasrara Chakra means a thousand-petalled lotus, Brahmarandhra (the door to God), Shunnya, Niralambapuri, the crown chakra, and the Centre of a Million Rays (as it glows like the Sun).
Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra) and its Description
The crown chakra is the seventh chakra and is located at the top of the head. It is the gateway to spiritual wisdom. It connects the individual to the universe. It gives us access to higher states of consciousness.
It represents the wisdom of an individual and the spiritual union with the divine, through complete awareness of the world and self.
Crown chakra symbol
Traditionally the Crown chakra is composed of-
A thousand petals
The Sahasrara is described as a lotus flower with thousands of petals of different colors like a rainbow. The pericarp is golden in color. Within it is a circular region like a full moon inscribed with a luminous triangle.
Crown Chakra is the most subtle chakra in the system, relating to pure consciousness. All other chakras emanate from this chakra. When a yogi is able to raise his kundalini (energy of consciousness) up to this point, the state of Nirvikalpa Samadhi is attained.
Sahasrara chakra location:
This chakra is located at the top of the head, four finger-breadths above the crown, and at the midline between the ears. It is placed as a crown that radiates upwards and is hence called the crown chakra.
Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra) Colour: White or Violet
Petals of the lotus: One thousand
Element: No element or Thought
Physical association: Central nervous system, cerebral cortex
Organs: Pineal gland
Characteristics: Awareness, understanding, Enlightenment, Oneness, Presence, Ecstasy.
Organs and diseases associated with Sahasrara chakra
The Sahasrara chakra is mainly associated with the Central nervous system, cerebral cortex, brain, and skin, but it also affects the eyes, ears, pineal glands (which secretes essential hormones), and the muscular and skeletal systems.
Blocked Sahasrara Chakra leads to mental and emotional issues including headaches, senility, depression, dementia, and neurological issues. Other associated diseases are multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, paralysis, Parkinson’s disease, epilepsy, etc.
Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra)
|Location||At the top of |
|Color||Violet or White|
|Element||No Element or Thought|
|Physical Association||Central Nervous System |
or Cerebral Cortex
|Characteristics||Awareness, Understanding, |
Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra) Properties
Crown Chakra is the most subtle chakra in the system, relating to pure consciousness. This chakra is the gateway to the cosmic self or the divine self, to universal consciousness. It’s linked to the infinite, the universal.
The crown chakra is associated with the following psychological and behavioral characteristics:
- Awareness of higher consciousness
- Enlightened wisdom
- Connection with the formless, the limitless
- Realization, liberation from limiting patterns
- Feeling of peace
- A better understanding of others
- Inspired and energized
How to know blocked or imbalanced Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra)
Imbalanced or Blocked Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra)
Imbalanced or Blocked Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra) has the following characteristics
- Isolation and loneliness
- Inability to connect with others
- Lack of direction
- Inability to set or maintain goals
- Feeling disconnected spiritually
- Obsessive attachment to spiritual matters
- Spiritual distress
Physical symptoms caused by a blocked Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra)
- Neurological disorders
- Nerve pain
- Poor coordination
- Thyroid and pineal gland disorders
- Alzheimer’s, Schizophrenia, and delusional disorders
- Recurring headaches, migraines
When The Crown Chakra is Overactive:
When this chakra is overactive or hyperactive, the person gets obsessive thoughts and he/she continues to live in the past or worry about the future. It can also result in obsessive spirituality, which causes a person to neglect other essential duties.
The following are symptoms of an overactive crown chakra:
- Disconnecting from your spirituality
- Self-destructive tendencies
When The Crown Chakra is Underactive:
- Confusion about what you want to do
- Lack of inspiration
- Desire to oversleep
How to Activate Sahasrara Chakra (Crown Chakra)
- The best way to activate a chakra is to develop sattva tattva in yourself by doing
MANANA – To think about, reflect
SANKALPA – To have the right intentions, to make positive resolutions
VIKALPA – To remove doubts and discard false ideas
ATMA CHINTANA – To be conscious of the Divine Self (Atma)at all times.
2. Regular Practice Deep breathing exercises, observe inhale and exhale, Anulom -Vilom, Pranayama especially Ujjayi Pranayama, Gyan Mudra, Khechari Mudra, and Shambhavi Mudra can also activate this Chakra.
3. The practice of Ajapa-Japa or spontaneous effortless chanting of a mantra is very useful to activate this chakra.
Apart from this, concentration and meditation on the chakra location and other visualization techniques can also be used.
4. Chakra meditation is calming and can improve the overall quality of your life. Meditate with the intent of balancing the Chakra and focus on the top of the head. Visualize the color violet and feel a connection with a higher cosmic power.
The simplest way to open this chakra is by expressing gratitude and hence one must thank the universe while meditating.
6. Crystals are a powerful tool for opening chakras. When we interact with them, our energy and the energy of crystals combine and so they affect our mental and physical health. By using these crystals, we can promote energetic movement and open our chakras. Use Crown Chakra Stones and Jewellery for healing.
Wearing Crown Chakra gemstones or placing violet-colored crystals balances this Chakra. These include Clear Quartz, Sugilite, Selenite, Amethyst Celestite, Blue Sapphire and Moonstone, etc.
8. Aromatherapy includes applying essential oils (preferably while meditating) like Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Marjoram, Rosemary, Sandalwood oil, etc. at specific places of the Crown Chakra helps to activate the chakra.
9. Making the home Vaastu perfect and following the science of directions while sleeping, studying, working, etc. recharges the chakras.
10. Fasting and detoxifying help in clearing our minds and body. One should only consume light meals comprising violet-colored fruits and vegetables. Food items for this chakra include natural fresh and organic vegetables and fruits, violet color fruits, red grapes, Passionfruit, etc. These food items help to activate the Crown Chakra.
Crown Chakra Affirmations to use
Repeat positive affirmations about personal power. Affirmations are wonderful for getting rid of old, limiting beliefs, and building confidence. Affirmations are a well-known technique for balancing the chakras. All of them aim to boost confidence, and since the crown chakra is connected to self-esteem so, the affirmations help to balance the chakra.
In addition, think about adding some of the following crown chakra affirmations to your daily routine.
Affirmation use has a lot to do with personal preference, so feel free to try saying your affirmations at different times of the day.
Set the intention by repeating affirmations like:
- I am constantly connected to my highest self.
- Today I am open to divine guidance.
- I honor the Divine within me
- I seek to understand and learn from my life experiences
- I seek experiences that nourish my spirit
- I trust my intuition
- I live in the present moment
- I see the beauty in the world and I embrace it.
- I am grateful for all the goodness in my life
- I know that all is well in my world
- I am connected with the wisdom of the universe
- Right now, I am confident, happy, and sure of my worth.
The Sahasrara chakra is mainly associated with the Central nervous system, cerebral cortex, and brain. It connects the individual to the universe. It gives us access to higher states of consciousness. It represents the wisdom of an individual and the spiritual union with the divine, through complete awareness of the world and self.