What is Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)?
Sarvangasana is highly beneficial in maintaining mental and physical health and is also referred to as ‘Queen of asanas’.
Sarvangasana is one of the best and most important asanas in Yoga. It has a huge amount of benefits which cover all the
Sarva means – All
Anga means – Body parts
Asana means – Posture
As the name indicates, Sarvangasana influences the functioning of all parts of your body.
Sarvang asana or shoulder stand is a yoga pose in which the whole body is balanced on the shoulders. It is also a part of the Padma Sadhana yoga sequence.
Because it strengthens all the internal parts of your body and keeps it strong and healthy. Sarvangasana gives strength to the shoulder, after all, the whole body stands erect on the two joints. It is also called a shoulder stand pose.
How to do Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose)
- Lie on your back with hands by your side.
- With one movement, lift your legs, buttocks, and back so that you come up high on your shoulders. Support your back with the hands.
- Move your elbows closer towards each other, and move your hands along your back, creeping up towards the shoulder blades. Keep straightening the legs and spine by pressing the elbows down to the floor and hands into the back. Your weight should be supported on your shoulders and upper arms and not on your head and neck.
- Keep the legs firm. Lift your heels higher as though you are putting a footprint on the ceiling. Bring the big toes straight over the nose. Now point the toes up. Pay attention to your neck. Do not press the neck into the floor. Instead, keep the neck strong with a feeling of tightening the neck muscles slightly. Press your sternum toward the chin. If you feel any strain in the neck, come out of the posture.
- Keep breathing deeply and stay in the posture for 30-60 seconds.
- To come out of the posture, lower the knees to the forehead. Bring your hands to the floor, palms facing down. Without lifting the head slowly bring your spine down, vertebra by vertebra, completely to the floor. Lower the legs to the floor. Relax for a minimum of 60 seconds.
Benefits of Sarvang-asana (Shoulder Stand pose):
- Regular practice of Sarvangasana improves your overall health.
- Boosts Blood Circulation
Sarvangasana pose improves blood circulation in the whole body. It promotes a smoother flow of blood in the brain so that the mental energy keeps vibrating in its finest form. When you reverse your body to stand on the shoulder and elbows, every cell and tissue gets nourished with the continuous circulation of blood activated by Sarvangasana.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health
In the Sarvangasana, the body is in an inverted position which allows the oxygenated blood to circulate through the heart, thus resulting in optimal functioning of the heart. It also prevents palpitations resulting in better heart health.
- Prevents Varicose Veins:
Sarvangasana pose reverses the blood flow from the downward direction to the upward direction. When we stand upright again, fresh blood flows to the legs, thereby improves blood circulation and prevents varicose veins in the legs.
- Strengthens the Neck and Shoulders
Sarvangasana gives strength to the shoulder. In this pose, the whole body stands erect on the two joints which provide strength to the neck and shoulder regions.
- Combat Thyroid Disease
The practice of Sarvangasana pose enhances the blood flow to the thyroid and parathyroid glands which stimulates their functioning and ensures good health of these glands thus preventing the onset of the thyroid.
- Triggers the Vishuddha Chakra ( Throat Chakra):
Shoulderstand stimulates the vishuddhi Chakra, the fifth chakra associated with expression, creativity, and communication. When this chakra is ignited, we can easily transform the negative feelings.
- Increases Strength and Flexibility:
The Sarvangasana increases the flexibility of the spine and opens the chest. When practiced with correct alignment, shoulders and strengthens the upper body, legs, abdominal muscles and improves your posture.
- Brings relief from constipation, indigestion, and varicose veins.
- Prevent Sexual Disorders
Sarvangasana is very effective for sexual disorders. It improves the functions of reproductive organs in both men and women.
- It rectifies disorders in the ears, nose, and throat.
- Diseases at the bottom and around the heels are cured.
- Prevent Hair Fall and premature greying of Hair
Sarvangasana pose increases the supply of blood and nutrients in the scalp thus massaging the scalp and effectively control the hair fall and premature greying of the hair.
- Relieves Lower Back Pain
Shoulder stand pose provides strength to your spine and eradicates any chance of a backache. It puts the substantial effort on the lumbar region to ease the pain in the lower spine and waistline.
- A perfect balance is attained with the regular practice of Sarvangasana. When all parts of the bodywork together, a sense of harmony spreads in the entire body.
- Calm Body and Mind
The daily practice of shoulder stand pose produces a calming effect on the parasympathetic nervous system and provides greater mental stability to you. Those who are easily agitated or are more prone to anger, anxiety, and nervous breakdown may practice Sarvangasana.
- Prevent Menstrual disorders, frequent abortions, leucorrhoea, and barrenness in women.
- Kidney disorders are cured and the urinary bladder is also made to function properly.
- It purifies the blood. Hence leukaemia and other skin diseases are easily rectified.
- Bright and Glowing Skin
This asana can help you have a bright and glowing face and can help you get rid of dark circles. Shrinking of skins, wrinkles in the face, aged look, and stiffness are re-freshened and skin begins to bloom.
- Increase EyeSight
Regular practice of this yoga pose brightens the eyesight and improves the power of smell.
- Prevent Asthma, liver disorders, intestinal disorders, constipation, diabetes, varicose veins, and insomnia.
- Strong Digestive Health:
Shoulder stand when performed regularly helps digestion. It prevents constipation and other issues related to indigestion.
- Prevent Diabetes
People with diabetes should do Sarvangasana as it helps in controlling blood sugar levels. It improves the functioning of the pancreas, thus regulating insulin production.
- Relieves Common Cold:
In the Sarvangasana, the blood supply to the neck and the head gets enhanced. This helps relieve nasal congestion, common cold, and headaches.
Contraindications of Sarvang-asana(Shoulder Stand Pose)
Consult your physician before doing the Sarvang-asana, if you have any of the following health conditions:
Pregnancy, Menstruation, High Blood Pressure, Heart Problem, Glaucoma, Slip Disc, Spondylosis, Neck Pain, and Acute Thyroid Problem.