Vishuddhi Chakra is also known as Vishuddha or throat chakra. It is the fifth primary chakra in the human body.
Vishuddha is a Sanskrit word that means Purification or Cleansing,
and Chakra means a Wheel or Vortex or Energy.
This chakra represents cleansing not only on a physical level but also in the psyche and mind.
Vishuddhi Chakra- The Throat Chakra Description
Physically, the throat chakra is associated with the thyroid gland, teeth and gums, jaw, hearing, and nasal passages.
Being the communication center of the body, it governs your ability not only to speak your truth openly and purely but also your ability to understand your needs and desires and be able to communicate them.
This chakra is the seat of self-expression and can be viewed as a crossroads of the heart and the head — serving as a mediator between emotions and thoughts.
The more balanced your fifth chakra is, the more freely and effortlessly it is for you to express yourself in a truthful and pure way.
Symbolically Vishuddhi Chakra is represented by a lotus with sixteen petals. The petals are purple or smoky grey in color. On the petals are found the seed letters am, aam, im, eem, um, ооm, rim, reem, lrim, lreem, em, aim, om, aum, am and ah written in golden color.
In the center or pericarp of the flower is a white circle like a full moon which represents the space element or Akasa Tattva.
The silver crescent is the lunar symbol of nada, pure cosmic sound. The crescent is symbolic of purity, and purification is a vital aspect of Vishuddha Chakra.
The Beej Mantra is HAM. and is written in white upon the chakra. In the Bindu, or point above the mantra, resides the deity Sadashiva, who has 5 faces, representing the spectrum of smell, taste, sight, touch, and sound, and 10 arms. The right half of his body is a white Shiva, and the left half of the body is a golden Shakti.
He is holding a trident, chisel, sword, vajra, fire, a great snake, a bell, a goad, and a noose, and is making the gesture of dissipating fear. His Shakti is Shakini, who is shining white, seated on a red lotus, with five faces, three eyes each, and four-armed, with a bow and arrow, noose, and goad.
Vishuddhi Chakra Location
This chakra opens towards the throat and is Located at the center of the neck at the level of the throat (between the third and fifth neck vertebrae.)
It is the passage of energy between the lower parts of the body and the head.
The chakras are more connected to the pranic body. Vishuddhi chakra is not part of the physical body but does influence the pharyngeal and laryngeal nerves
Beej Mantra for Vishuddhi Chakra
The mantra for this chakra is HAM.
Vishuddhi Chakra Element
The element of the Vishuddhi Chakra is Aakash Tattva (Ether)
Chakradhishthatri of Vishuddhi Chakra
Goddess Shakini is the presiding deity or Chakradhishthatri of Vishuddhi Chakra.
Sense Organ connected with Vishuddhi Chakra
Vishuddhi Chakra is related to the ears and the sense of hearing.
Vishuddhi Chakra Color
Vishuddhi Chakra color is Blue Purple or Smoky Grey
Associated Animal is White Elephant
Vishuddhi Chakra or Throat Chakra
|Location||At the center of the Neck|
at the level of the Throat
|Element||Ether (Aakash Tattva)|
|Sense||Sense of Hearing|
|Animal associated||White Elephant|
Vishuddhi Chakra: Throat Chakra Properties
The 5th chakra has the following properties or characteristics:
- How well do you handle conflict or confrontation?
- The quality of your relationships.
- The propensity to create, projecting ideas and blueprints into reality.
- Realizing your vocation, and purpose.
- Expression, in particular, is the ability to express your truth, to speak out.
- Good sense of timing.
- Your ability to be heard.
- Communication, whether it’s verbal or non-verbal, external or internal.
- Awareness of your needs.
In other words, when your 5th or throat chakra is open, you’ll be great at making yourself understood. You will be able to say what you really want to say, but with tact. You will know what you need. As good communication is vital in all significant relationships, a balanced throat chakra has a wonderful influence on both your personal and professional life.
How to know blocked or imbalanced Vishuddhi Chakra (Throat chakra)
Imbalanced or Blocked Throat chakra has the following characteristics:
- Lack of control over one’s speech; speaking too much or inappropriately.
- Not being able to listen to others
- Excessive fear of speaking
- Small, imperceptible voice
- Not being able to keep secrets, to keep your word
- Telling lies
- On the opposite side, a closed throat chakra might manifest as excessive secretiveness or shyness
- Lack of connection with a vocation or purpose in life
- A sense that people don’t know the “real you”
- Lacking the vocabulary to describe your emotions
Physical problems caused by a misaligned throat chakra can include one or more of the following:
- A sore throat, frequent infections
- Erratic fluctuations in hormone levels
- A stiff or achy neck
- Discomfort in throat tissue
- Mouth ulcers
- Thyroid disorders, and tooth and gum problems
- The mental and emotional distresses
When the throat chakra is overactive
- Those with overactive throat chakras will often interrupt others
- They have a loud and shrill voice
- They love to hear themselves talk.
- Tends to dominate others in a conversation
- They become judgmental by overanalyzing things.
When the throat chakra is underactive
- Those with underactive throat chakras will often be shy or quiet
- These people are unable to express their emotions
- Struggling for words when you try to speak your truth.
- These people find it hard to initiate conversations or find the right words when speaking.
How to Activate Vishuddhi Chakra (Throat chakra)
- The best way to activate a chakra is to develop sattva tattva in yourself by doing
MANANA – To think about, reflect
SANKALPA – To have the right intentions, to make positive resolutions
VIKALPA – To remove doubts and discard false ideas
ATMA CHINTANA – To be conscious of the Divine Self (Atma)at all times.
2. Regular chanting of the Beeja Mantra of the chakra. The Beeja Mantra of this chakra is Ham. Chanting this seed mantra activates The Throat Chakra. By chanting HAM, the vibrations will open and align this chakra.
To get quick and more benefits– Chant Beeja Mantra Ham at a specific time for a specific duration regularly.
3. Regular Practice of Deep breathing exercises, observing inhale and exhale, Anulom -Vilom, Pranayama especially Ujjayi Pranayama and Khechari Mudra can also activate this Chakra.
4. Concentration and meditation on the chakra location and other visualization techniques can also be used.
5. While meditating, visualize the color blue in the region of the throat chakra. Meditating can also be done by wearing blue clothes or in a blue-colored room. Another option is to meditate under the blue sky or near-pure blue water-front like a sea or lake is good for the fifth chakra.
7. Use Throat Chakra Stones and Jewelry For Healing. Wearing Throat Chakra gemstones or placing blue-colored crystals balances this Chakra. These include Lapus Lazuli, Blue Apatite, Aquamarine, Turquoise, etc.
8. Aromatherapy includes applying essential oils (preferably while meditating) like Frankincense, Geranium, Jasmine, Sage, Peppermint, Clove oil, etc at specific places of the Throat Chakra helps to activate the chakra.
9. High water content food items open this chakra and include fruits and vegetables, and juices. Etc.
10. Making the home Vaastu perfect and following the science of directions while sleeping, studying, working, etc. recharges the chakras.
11. Food items for the Throat chakra include Blueberries, Apples, oranges, and all other fruits that grow on trees and are traditionally associated with the throat chakra
12. Vishuddhi Chakra Affirmations to Use
Repeat positive affirmations about personal power. Affirmations are wonderful for getting rid of old, limiting beliefs, and building confidence
By repeating affirmations, you can reverse negative thought patterns and replace them with constructive ones. You can change, remove, and add words as you wish.
I willingly release all fears and negativity that block me from speaking my truth.
I lovingly speak my truth and allow my Higher Self to speak through me.
I use my words to create beauty in this world.
I communicate confidently and with ease.
I feel comfortable speaking my mind.
I am balanced in speaking and listening.
I am an active listener.
I speak my true thoughts with ease.
I set clear boundaries.
I consciously align myself with the divine plan.
Vishuddhi is the fifth chakra in the evolution of man and deals with purity of mind and intellect. At this chakra, one gets higher discrimination. One can distinguish between mere thoughts coming from the unconscious mind and the sublime messages coming from the supreme consciousness. There is no more confusion. It gives a person the power of communication and choice.
Vishuddhi Chakra is the center for verbal as well as higher communication.